The Department of the Navy is dedicated to supporting families and currently provides resources and advocacy for spouse employment. Section 556 of the National Defense Authorization Action FY18 provides the Navy the opportunity to reimburse members up to $500 for state licensure and certification costs of a spouse of a member of the Armed Forces arising from relocation to another state due to a permanent change of station (PCS) or permanent change of assignment. NDAA FY 20 Section 577 increased the amount up to $1,000.
Members may be reimbursed up to $500 for qualifying relicensing costs of their spouse when all of the following conditions are met:
- Service members may be reimbursed up to $500 for PCS orders issued 12 Dec 2017 to 19 Dec 2019, or up to $1,000 for those orders issued on or after 20 Dec 2019, for his or her spouse’s qualifying relicensing costs when all of the conditions are met.
- The member is reassigned, as either a PCS or permanent change of assignment from a permanent duty station (PDS) in one state to a PDS in another state.
- The PCS movement of the dependents is authorized.
- The spouse was employed in a profession requiring certification at the PDS in a previous state.
- The spouse is required to obtain re-certification for the same profession at the PDS in the new state.
- The completion of the relicense or certification was successful.
- For a PCS returning from an overseas assignment, the license from the PDS state held prior to overseas assignment may be used if the new PDS in the United States is in a different State.
- Reimbursement payments for licensure or certification are subject to the federal income tax withholding rate of 25 percent and to state tax (as applicable).
- This reimbursement is effective as of 12 December 2017 for PCS orders issued on or after 12 December 2017.
- Requests for reimbursement associated with PCS orders issued between 12 December 2017 to 30 June 2019, shall be submitted no later than 30 June 2021. (The deadline for applications has been extended in response to issues caused by COVID-19.)
- Requests for reimbursement associated with PCS orders issued after 30 June 2019, shall be submitted no later than 24 months after issued date of PCS orders or before 31 December 2024, whichever is earlier.
NAVADMIN 134/19 - This NAVADMIN announces that as part of the ongoing Navy Family Framework effort to expand and improve the experience for Navy spouses and families, Sailors may be reimbursed up to 500 dollars for the state licensure and certification costs of a spouse arising from relocation to another state due to a permanent change of station (PCS) move, …
MILPERSMAN 1754-040 - This article provides policy and procedures for military spouse licensure reimbursement.
Updated on June 1, 2022