An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Welcome to NSA souda bay Housing

Our mission is to provide housing support for Service Members and their families assigned to Naval Support Activity (NSA) Souda Bay.  Our goal is to assist our customers locating suitable, safe and affordable housing.  We have a range of housing options to meet your needs, whether accompanied or unaccompanied.  


New Resources Available: If you are looking at renting or buying a home in the local community,
there are new resources available on the
community housing page.                                               

Select one of the tabs below or the menu button to begin exploring NSA Souda Bay housing. 

Navy Housing Service Center (HSC):

Housing Service Center
BLDG. 49
PSC 814, Box 12
FPO, AE 09865-0005
DSN:  318-266-1920 / 1620

DSN Fax:  266-1552
From the United States:  011-30-28210-21920, Fax:  011-30-28210-21552
Hours:  Monday, Tuesday, & Thursday: 0730-1600
Wednesday: Closed until 1200 (Training), Open: 1200-1600
Friday:  0730-1500
Closed on Holidays and Weekends

Unaccompanied Housing (UH):

Unaccompanied Housing (UH)/ Navy Gateway Inns & Suites (Temporary Lodging)
Front Desk & Check-in: NGIS
DSN:  266-1601/1632
From the United States:  011-30-28210-21601/1632

Family Housing

Accompanied personnel reporting to NSA Souda Bay must reside in the local community.  Check-in at the local Housing Service Center (HSC) upon arrival to the installation.  The HSC staff will assist with all of your home-finding needs.  

*Please note that the option to live in the community may change without notice. * 

Community Housing 

The HSC maintains a current database of available off-base community rental properties for homes, apartments and townhomes.  Housing referral professionals inspect these rental properties for suitability.  The HSC assists with locating off-base housing in the local area, including:   

Housing Hunting

All HSC listings of available rentals are inspected for suitability and must meet minimum standards for safety and security before a contract may be negotiated through the Housing Department. Generally, you can expect to have a lease contract and a move in appointment within 30 days. It is very important that you communicate with your sponsor as quickly as possible upon receipt of orders. Your sponsor must know if you will be accompanied or unaccompanied, the size of your family, if you are bringing pets, etc. Answers to these questions will help him/her make appropriate advance reservations for accommodation. Following your indoctrination class, you will begin an aggressive search for permanent housing. Generally, you should have a lease contract and a move in appointment set within 30 days. Then arrange utilities, loaner furniture and household goods deliveries and expect to move-in within 3 to 5 days of signing the lease.

Homes in Greece are different from those stateside. There are apartments, in-villas (generally two floors of a house) and villas (single homes within a fenced perimeter) and are smaller than homes/apartments in the United States. Therefore, you should carefully limit the total weight and items being shipped; bedrooms are smaller than normal American standards. You should not ship American appliances (stoves, dishwashers, refrigerators, washers or dryers), these items are issued for your full tour when not furnish with the property.

It is helpful if your sponsor drives you around to see the different areas. Review maps, note distances from base. Please be aware not all schools in the area offer curriculum in English and 95-98% of the accompanied personnel Home School their dependents. If you find a house on your own, provide housing personnel the landlord's name, phone number and address of the home. Housing personnel will contact the landlord and follow up with the required inspections and negotiate the rent based on fair market rents. Then, an appointment will be made with the landlord, housing representative, and the member to sign the lease contract. Rental contract negotiators at the Housing Department are bilingual and are familiar with Greek Real Estate customs and laws. Throughout the process if you are uncertain about anything, ask questions.

All of the properties listed with the Housing Department have electric split unit AC/Heating and/or fuel oil heating. It is recommended, when you are looking for housing on your own that you do not discuss or commit to a rental price since this will in most cases be higher rent than the fair market rental costs established for all listings negotiated through the housing department.

At the time of the contract signing, you must bring two month's rent in euro -- (one month's rent is a security deposit against damages and the other is your first month's rent). The deposit will be returned to you, less any amounts deducted for damages when the lease is terminated. In the event that a house does not meet with the standards set forth by housing and security, a waiver will be required acknowledging the limitations of services available by the HSC.

Lease Negotiation

When you obtain your lease through the Housing Department, trained staff that have listings of pre-negotiated properties based on fair rental price, verify the presence of the Military Clause, and ensure compliance with Greek law. Rents are paid in Euro and range from €500 to €1500 per month. Because rents are established in Euro, the equivalency in U.S. currency will fluctuate with the exchange rate. You will need first month’s rent and the equivalent amount of rent as security deposit upon signing of your lease agreement with the landlord.
Once you sign a lease for a Greek home, you will find it hard to break. Greek law requires you to notify your landlord one (1) month in advance of breaking the lease unless you are moving into government quarters or PCS early. The contract is a binding, legal agreement and is not easily revoked without serious justification. CIVPERS and single E5 and above MILPERS, will be provided with assistance locating a home in the local economy.

Translation Services

Assistance throughout the duration of your tour with all aspects of the unit you occupy, including maintenance service scheduling, utility billing discrepancies, clerical assistance, lease amendments, legal advice and termination services.

Mediation of landlord-tenant disputes

Assistance in arranging for utility contracts (including electricity and telephone) and ongoing liaison with utility companies throughout your tour.


Contractor support is limited to translation assistance and explanation of host-country rental laws and utility and telephone services.

Average Community Housing Costs - Rentals


Unaccompanied housing (UH) options at NSA Souda Bay include barracks or dorms and housing in the local community.  UH accommodations are for all E1 through E4 unaccompanied personnel. Unaccompanied and Geographical Bachelors E5 and above will be required to live in the community.

Barracks and Dorms 

UH is conveniently located on NSA Souda Bay.    

Barracks assignment is limited to E-4 and below personnel. All E-4 and below are required to live in the barracks.  For all E-5 and above personnel, upon arrival, if adequate temporary lodging is not available on-base, your sponsor will make arrangements for hotel accommodations. You may lodge at any recommended hotels in the area that have a Greek tourist operations license. The Navy Gateways Inns & Suites front desk maintains a list of recommended hotels. There are several hotels located approximately 7-10 miles from base, usually near a base bus route. Most local hotels accept payment by credit card (VISA, MasterCard), Euro or U.S. dollars. You will be entitled to Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) for at least 30 days, but not to exceed 60 days until you locate off-base housing. E-4 and below personnel will not be authorized TLA as they are permanent residents in government quarters.  There is very little storage space available in the barracks, so it is highly recommended that any personal property shipments be kept to essential personal items, uniforms, and civilian attire.
Accommodations are one or two persons to a room based on pay grade and square footage.  Linens are provided at check-in.  UH facilities include lounges equipped with televisions, washers and dryers, and vending machines in all buildings.  There are also recreational, fitness, dining, religious, educational and other amenities, most located within walking distance of UH.  Additional information on base amenities is available in the Welcome Aboard package.  

Resident advisors (RA) and geographic bachelors (GB) may also reside on-base.  RAs are senior personnel who provide an after-hours leadership presence to UH residents.  RAs sign a memorandum of understanding, agreeing to certain duties and responsibilities in exchange for a room in UH.  The program is strictly voluntary and open to personnel in pay grades E5 to E9 (E4 with their commanding officer’s recommendation), including GBs.  For more information about the RA program and to obtain an application, please contact the UH Administrative Office. 
GBs are personnel ordered to the installation who, by choice or circumstance, have decided that their dependents will continue to live in another geographic area.  GBs are receiving basic allowance for housing at the with dependents rate.  They are not normally authorized to live in UH; however, there are a limited number of spaces available for them.  GBs must submit an application that will be reviewed by the Assignment Review Board.  If approved, the GB will be placed on the waiting list and offered UH when it becomes available. 

Community Housing 

The Housing Service Center (HSC) maintains a current database of available off-base community rental properties for homes, apartments and townhomes.  Housing referral professionals inspect these rental properties for suitability.  The HSC assists with locating off-base housing in the local area, including:   

Note: For E5 and above, you will need to have around $2500+ on hand (Depends on pay grade and rent costs).  Once your lease is signed by housing and processed by CSD, all your allowances will begin, and your pay will settle.  Move in costs are typically 1st month’s rent, security deposit (=1 month rent) and deposit for utilities (up to 130 Euros).  Upon arrival to NSA Souda Bay, if you think some financial issues may arise from the initial expenditures, please inform your Leading Chief Petty Officer who will liaison with our ADMIN office to assist as necessary.   Bottom line: Communicate with your sponsor! If you do not have the necessary funds of at least $2,500.00 it is recommended to request advance Overseas Housing Allowance at least 3 days prior to signing lease. For more details, please contact CSD upon your arrival.  

Click the family housing tab above for more information on community housing.  


The Navy Housing Service Center (HSC) mission is to provide housing support for all families and unaccompanied personnel moving to or departing from the local area.  

Arrival Services:

  • Housing needs assessment

  • Temporary housing information

  • Personalized single-family home, condo and apartment finding assistance

  • Provide rental listings 

  • Maps and directions of local area

  • ​Detailed market information on local areas

  • Contract administration services

  • Lease review/interpretation

  • List of approved housing facilities and real estate agencies

  • Landlord information and mediation

Departure Services:

  • Provide information on housing at your new duty station

  • Process and fax or email housing application packages to your new duty station

Additional Services:

  • Telephones, photocopy and fax machines are available without charge


Service Members should check-in with the HSC upon arrival at the installation.  The HSC maintains a current database, that is accessible 24 hours a day, of available off-base community rental properties for homes, apartments and townhomes.  Housing referral professionals inspect these rental properties for suitability.  Additionally, the HSC provides lease review services and is your Navy advocate for you and your family when housing maintenance, health or safety issues arise.  For additional information on local community housing, please contact the HSC. 


Navy HSCs provide support with issue resolution for customers wherever they choose to live, whether military or community housing. Our issue resolution services are provided to both the tenant and landlord free of charge.

Shipping, Weight Limits and POV  

Naval Supply Systems Command (NAVSUP) is responsible for Navy household goods (HHG) and personal property.  NAVSUP provides information and guidance to assist with permanent change of station (PCS) moves and the HHG claims process.  
Additionally, there are several other resources available for Service Members that are looking for information on shipping HHG and privately owned vehicles

Visit the CNIC headquarters Web site to access additional resources for PCS moves

Homes in Greece are different from those stateside. There are apartments, in-villas (generally two floors of a house) and villas (single homes within a fenced perimeter) and are smaller than homes/apartments in the United States. Therefore, you should carefully limit the total weight and items being shipped; bedrooms are smaller than normal American standards. You should not ship American appliances (stoves, dishwashers, refrigerators, washers or dryers), these items are issued for your full tour when not furnish with the property.


Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)

TLA is paid in 10-day increments while awaiting the assignment to permanent housing. It generally covers the cost of lodging plus meals and incidental expenses. The maximum number of days is 60, starting on the day the sponsor reports for duty or date first family member arrives (if approved by BUPERS to travel prior to the sponsor).
All members on accompanied and unaccompanied tours are eligible until permanent housing is secured. TLA can be terminated if adequate permanent housing is declined. Normally E4 and below are directly assigned to barracks and would only receive TLA if barrack space was not available. TLA is completed at the Housing Office, then processed by PSD for payment. To be eligible for the full payment of TLA, accompanied personnel must make arrangements for lodging/hotel accommodation at the NGIS or a hotel on the economy. Unaccompanied military personnel must make arrangements at the NGIS. A Certificate of Non-Availability (CNA) should be obtained before making arrangements for economy hotel accommodations.

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA)

OHA is authorized to assist a member in defraying the excess housing costs incurred when assigned to an overseas duty station. All members authorized to live in private rental housing are entitled to OHA. OHA helps you pay for your housing costs, including rent, utilities, and recurring maintenance expenses. OHA consists of two parts, the rent portion and the utility and recurring maintenance portion. The rent portion of OHA is computed on your actual rent up to a maximum based on your rank and whether you are accompanied or unaccompanied. You are not limited by the rental ceilings: if your rent is above the ceiling, you pay the difference out of your base pay; if your rent is less than the ceiling, your allowance will only include the amount you actually pay. The utility portion of OHA is added to the rent portion to help pay for utilities and recurring maintenance costs. The amount of OHA you receive fluctuates with the dollar/euro exchange rate. The utility and recurring maintenance portion of your OHA is also adjusted as a result of the annual OHA Utility Survey. It is important to maintain complete records of your rent and utility payments. Keep a file with all of your receipts and a notebook to record all your expenses for repairing and maintaining your house or apartment. If you do, you will have accurate figures to report when it is time for the annual OHA Survey. To obtain up-to-date information on your rental ceiling and OHA entitlement go to Defense Travel Management Office (DTMO), the NSA Souda Bay code is GR001. OHA documentation (DD Form 2367) is completed at the Housing Office, once a lease has been signed, then processed at CSD/PSD for payment.

Please note that because many of these allowances fluctuate as the dollar/euro exchange rate fluctuates, your paychecks will vary quite often. You should keep track of all these things and watch your leave and earnings statements carefully for errors. Also, when planning your budget, do not count on a particular dollar figure each paycheck. It is more prudent to plan on needing a certain amount of euro each month and buying that amount; that way, the number of dollars left over after buying the euro should be roughly the same. Also, keep a notebook and enter every purchase you make for your home and all purchases you make on the economy. That way, when it is time for the annual allowance surveys, you have accurate figures.

Moving In Housing Allowance (MIHA)

MIHA is a one-time payment to defray the costs to offset for items that are sometimes not provided in economy housing. Because of many additions to permanent loaner furniture (i.e., washers, dryers, stoves, power transformers), MIHA has been reduced by almost half. Please double-check the amount that you are authorized so you do not depend on money that you will not be receiving.

What about allowances for civilians?

U.S. Civil Service employees recruited in the United States to work abroad for the U.S. Government are generally eligible to receive several overseas allowances. Temporary Quarters Subsistence Allowance (TQSA) is authorized for the reasonable cost of temporary quarters incurred by the employee and his/her family for a period up to three months after first arriving at your new post of assignment in a foreign area, or a period ending the occupation of residence quarters, whichever is shorter. A Living Quarters Allowance (LQA) is authorized to substantially cover the cost of privately rented housing. LQA payment is intended to cover the average cost of rent, electricity, gas, fuel, and water up to the applicable maximum rate. Maximum rates vary by costs, by employee grade level, and by family size. A Post Allowance is authorized when the cost of living in the foreign area is significantly higher than in Washington, D.C. Contact your Human Resources Office or personnel office for further information.


Utilities are rarely included in the rent. Often, a "condominium fee" is charged, in addition to the monthly rent, to cover such things as janitorial services, the lighting and cleaning of corridors, stairways or elevators, garbage pick-up, etc. This fee varies with the type of complex. Landlords are also permitted to raise the rent on an annual basis, although many landlords do not do this.


At this time, OTE is the only company that offers landline service throughout the Crete territory. A contract is initiated with the assistance of Housing personnel.

Your telephone bill

  1. Bills are issued every two months. All bills include a flat fee; a Valued Added Tax Form is required for you to be exempt from the19% taxes.

  2. Telephone calls are calculated on the following factors: length of call, distance, and the time and day that the calls are placed.

  3. Telephone calls from your home phone to cell phones can be very expensive.

Note: In addition to phone service fees, your bill will include a charge for the units you have used during the billing period. A unit does not represent a single phone call but rather it is a mix of distance called and time called. Calls to cellular phones may cost more than making international calls, depending on the time of day they are made. Reduced rates are available on weekends depending upon the OTE package plan selected by the customer. You will need to provide your own phone.


All Greek electricity is 220 volts, 50 cycles. Therefore, you will need a transformer to convert electricity for your American household appliances and adapters for Greek outlets, which are round-pronged. An important point to remember is that heat generated by a 60 Hz motor operating on 50 Hz can be a safety hazard. This problem is most critical with refrigerators. While most other motors are only used periodically or, by design, can get rid of heat, most refrigerators tend to build up heat. Electric supply is measured in kilowatts. Depending on the size of your dwelling, the number of water heaters, your family's size, your usage patterns and the number of electric appliances you operate, the number of available kilowatts you need will vary. The Housing Department will assist you in determining your needs. But always keep in mind electricity is expensive in Greece!

Your electricity bill

DEH (the Greek Electric company) sends bills every two months, but reads your meter only about three times a year depending on the location of the property. In between readings, DEH will send you estimated bills, based on historical patterns of usage for your rental property. This practice may result in a high bill when the actual reading takes place by DEH when the reading is above the amount estimated. The housing office will document your initial DEH meter reading and recommends you to perform a meter reading monthly on your own and provide it to the Housing Department/Utilities Branch for review and documentation to assist you upon receipt of your electric bill. At this time, we will ensure that your contract was initiated with the correct reading and explain when to submit your readings to us. This practice shall prevent you from receiving bills that you may have difficulty paying. You should learn to estimate your own usage and set aside sufficient funds; a safe estimate is 12 euro cents per KWh up to the first 800 hrs, 15 euro cents over 800 up to 1600 hrs and 20 euro cents 1600-2400 hrs of consumption. Electricity in Crete is expensive, if you have questions ask your housing staff.


Should you select a house/apt with an electric split unit system only will result in higher electric bills. While the majority of our listings include both the split unit system, solar systems and fuel oil it is recommended to take the initial reading and keep track of your usage. It is also recommended to set your thermostat at a reasonable temperature to shut off when the sun is out and when you are not home.


The water contract remains under the name of the landlord at all times. In most cases, the landlord pays only the water flat-fee and the resident is responsible for any over-usage. The cost of water is subject to variation on the basis of housing areas, cubic meter consumption and price of water established by the supply company. When you are asked to pay a water bill, we recommend that you ask for a copy of the bill and forward it to the Housing Department/Utilities Branch to ensure you reimburse the landlord the correct amount.


NSA Souda Bay’s Loaner Furnishings Program is open to all military and DoD civilian personnel on permanent change of station orders to NSA Souda Bay. Both accompanied and unaccompanied personnel are eligible to receive temporary loaner, as well as full-tour packages. To be eligible, members must have a "signed housing lease." Although stock levels are sufficient to meet the demand, members are urged to request only those items actually needed to complete the household. Members will be placed on a waiting list for items not available at the time of their request. The list will be prioritized by the date the lease was signed, but follow-up is the member's responsibility.
When those items become available, Housing personnel will call and schedule a delivery appointment. Members requesting additional out-of-stock items after initial delivery will be placed on the bottom of the waiting list. The furniture section needs five working days notice to schedule furniture delivery or pick up. Any cancellation of a scheduled delivery, service call, or pick up requires at least one working day notice, or you may be charged for the service. Charges for missed appointments or canceled appointments without proper notification range from $45 to $170. The variations in the prices are related to the various types of moves (Light or normal/weight; loaner or full tour).
Make sure your electricity is on during the delivery so the delivery personnel can complete the required work (i.e., testing appliances), because the contractors will not make additional trips to complete the work. The contractors must deliver furniture and equipment in a clean and working condition.
Many of the items that will be delivered are not new, and scratches or dents are not grounds for refusal of the item. Damages to the items should be noted on the delivery receipt to avoid being charged for prior damages. To schedule delivery, pick up or service calls, contact the Housing Office at 266-1920.
Please note that government-owned or community housing may not be large enough to accommodate large or heavy furniture. 

Temporary Loaner Furniture
Temporary loaner furniture is issued to accompanied and unaccompanied military and Department of Defense civilian personnel for a maximum of 90 days.  Household goods (HHG) must be in transit to be eligible for loaner furniture.  Furniture is loaned for up to 90 days or until the HHG shipment arrives, whichever occurs earlier.    
Please note: Greek beds are sized differently than U.S. beds, therefore, flat sheets are preferable to fitted for use on your temporary bed until your own bed arrives.

Full Tour Loaner Furnishings

These items are supplemental furnishings for unaccompanied military personnel for items not included in their household goods shipment and will be loaned to you for the duration of your tour if you have a signed housing lease that was negotiated through the housing office. The following items are available: beds, nightstands, dressers, sofa, armchairs, end tables, lamps, coffee table, dining table and dining chairs, stove, refrigerator, washing machine, dryer, transformers, smoke and carbon monoxide detector, Civilians and accompanied personnel are eligible for appliances only during their tour.  

Furnishing Items Available

In addition to the 90-day Temporary Loan Program, there is also a Full Tour Appliances/Furniture Program designed to get you started in your new house or apartment. Some items, sizes, and quantities vary between the family and bachelor programs. Check with the Furnishings Branch at the Housing Department for more details:

  • Stove: 1 per household

  • Refrigerator: 1 per household 

  • Washing Machine: 1 per household

  • Dryer: 1 per household

  •  The transformers included in a full set are: (1) 1,500W, (1) 1,000W, and (1) 500W. All have one male 220 male plug and one 110 female plug. Additional ones may be authorized upon request when inventory is available.

  • Smoke, Gas and carbon monoxide detector: Two per household.

  • AFN Decoder while available through the Housing Department. Installation, all required material and service calls are at the expense of the member (Note: satellites will only work with a multi-system television).

  • Microwave/220V: 1 per household

All appliances are European style and sizes which are smaller than American style appliances.


In Crete, while there are a variety of apartments, in-villas and villas, the majority of landlords do not accept pets The Housing Department maintains an inventory of listings that will accept pets but keep in mind the size of your pet may be an issue.


Souda Bay Housing FAQs

TextDescription automatically generated with medium confidenceHousing Early Assistance Tool

The Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) assists Service Members and their families in applying for housing Navy wide.  HEAT allows Service Members and their families to get the housing application process started at one or more Navy installations online before or after they receive their permanent change of station orders.  HEAT is available to any Service Member at all Navy installations.  HEAT creates an easy user experience to connect with your destination.  Spouses can use the application as well, needing only minimal information about their Service Member.  A housing referral professional will be in touch within 2 business days.


Google Translation Disclaimer

  • Google Translate, a third party service provided by Google, performs all translations directly and dynamically.
  • CNIC Fleet and Family Readiness, has no control over the features, functions, or performance of the Google Translate service.
  • The automated translations should not be considered exact and should be used only as an approximation of the original English language content.
  • This service is meant solely for the assistance of limited English-speaking users of the website.
  • CNIC Fleet and Family Readiness, does not warrant the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of any information translated.
  • Some items cannot be translated, including but not limited to image buttons, drop down menus, graphics, photos, or portable document formats (pdfs).
  • CNIC Fleet and Family Readiness, does not directly endorse Google Translate or imply that it is the only language translation solution available to users.
  • All site visitors may choose to use similar tools for their translation needs. Any individuals or parties that use CNIC Fleet and Family Readiness, content in translated form, whether by Google Translate or by any other translation services, do so at their own risk.
  • IE users: Please note that Google Translate may not render correctly when using Internet Explorer. Users are advised to use MS Edge, Safari, Chrome, or Firefox browser to take full advantage of the Google Translate feature.
  • The official text of content on this site is the English version found on this website. If any questions arise related to the accuracy of the information contained in translated text, refer to the English version on this website, it is the official version.

Commander, Navy Installations Command   |   716 Sicard Street SE Suite 1000   |   Washington DC, 20374-5140
Official U.S. Navy Website