An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Welcome to NAS Sigonella Housing

Our mission is to provide housing support for Service Members and their families assigned to Naval Air Station (NAS) Sigonella.  Our goal is to assist our customers locating suitable, affordable, and safe housing.  We have a range of housing options to meet your needs, whether accompanied or unaccompanied.  



New Resources Available: If you are looking at renting or buying a home in the local community,
there are new resources available on the
community housing page.                                               

Select one of the tabs below or the menu button to begin exploring NSA Sigonella housing. 

Navy Housing Service Center (HSC):

Bldg. 319 NAS 1
PSC 812 Box 16
FPO AE 09623-0001
DSN:  624-4311
Off Base Local:  39-095-56-4311
From the United States:  011-39-095-56-4311
Email: and
Hours:  Monday - Friday:  7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Unaccompanied Housing (UH):

U.S. Naval Air Station - Sigonella
Attn:  Housing Department
Bldg. 319 NAS 1
PSC 812 Box 16
FPO AE 09623-0001
Front Desk & Check-in:  HSC, Bldg. 319
DSN:  624-4311
Off Base Local:  39-095-56-4311/3162/3324/8689

From the United States:  011-39-095-56-4311/3162/3324/8689
Hours:  Monday - Friday:  7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.


The HSC is located in bldg. 319 at NAS I. It is a few minutes walking distance from the main gate. It is the first building on the right, at the flagpole's roundabout. By car, passing the main gate, the first street on the right there is the parking lot and then walking to the center of the main square it is the first building on the left, ground floor.

Family Housing

Accompanied personnel reporting to NAS Sigonella should expect assignment to government family housing.  All Unaccompanied E5 and above personnel, including Geo-Bachelors, are required to live in the local community. Check-in at the local Housing Service Center (HSC) arrival to the installation.  The HSC staff will assist with all of your home-finding needs.  Depending on arrival time frame, government housing may not be immediately available. Accompanied personnel that are assigned to community housing while waiting for government family housing, may choose to keep their community home and not relocate to government housing. 

Government-Owned Housing 

The local HSC processes applications and assigns personnel to government-owned family housing.  The HSC is your advocate, and you should contact them with any issues.  For more information about on-base housing for accompanied personnel, including eligibility requirements, visit the CNIC Headquarters Government-Owned Housing page.  

The Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) enables Service Members and their families to apply for government-owned family housing prior to departure from their current command, before or after receiving permanent change of station orders.  Visit the CNIC HQ HEAT page to find out more.  

Additionally, you can obtain application forms online, at your nearest HSC, or you can contact the HSC to have one mailed or emailed to you. 

Family Housing consists of townhouse type quarters with small fenced rear yards. Storage is limited. Refrigerator, dishwasher, washer and dryer are provided. Units have central heat and air conditioning, AFN cable, basic phone service, ADSL internet service, and 110/220 volts. Be advised that Italy's electricity runs on 50 Hz vice 60 Hz (US). Only two (2) pets (dog, cat, or combination) are permitted in family housing. We have one housing area location, consisting of 3- & 4-bedroom units for all grade categories. DoD civilians will reside in the economy.

Government family housing at NAS Sigonella is smaller than family housing in the United States. Our quarters' size average from 1,354 (3-bedroom) to 1,495 (4-bedroom) square feet. Please adjust your household goods shipment accordingly and place non-essential items in non-temporary storage before leaving your duty station.

Within 48 hours of arrival, Service Members must check-in to the NAS Sigonella HSC for their “First Visit” during which a housing counselors brief them on their eligibility. The Housing Welcome brief is part of the INDOC class, and it’s scheduled by Fleet and Family Support Center. All eligible personnel that will be living out in town are required to attend the Economy Housing Brief, which is held every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 09.00 at the HSC. Members are scheduled for it during the “First Visit”.

There are 2 family housing neighborhoods located aboard NAS Sigonella: NAS I Hillis Drive for Senior and Flag Officers and “I Marinai” for all accompanied personnel, for Junior Enlisted, Senior Enlisted and Officers.  If appropriate quarters are not available upon arrival, personnel will be placed on a waiting list.  When a unit becomes available, the Service Member and family will receive a government-funded move from their off-base residence to family housing on base.  Contact the HSC to get the most current projection of housing availability and wait list information. 

It is important that you communicate with your sponsor at your earliest convenience regarding your government housing and other important overseas quality of life initiatives.

For a good overview of all Housing services, please watch the video Sigonella Now-Base Housing.

Wait List

Approximate waiting times for government leased housing

  • Officer 4 bedroom: 6-12 months

  • Officer 3 bedroom: 1-3 months

  • Senior Enlisted 4 bedroom: 1-3 months

  • Senior Enlisted 3 bedroom: 1-3 months

  • Junior Enlisted 4 bedroom: 1-3 months

  • Junior Enlisted 3 bedroom: 1-3 months

Family Housing Photos & Floor Plans  
Community Housing 

Housing Referral services are available to all military personnel E-4 and above, DoD civilians under a transportation agreement, DoD contractors with a signed MOA/ISSA. DoD contractors not serving under a MOA/ISSA are entitled to translation assistance and utility and telephone services on a limited basis. All Personnel who will be required to lease a property from the local community must have a valid tourist or No Fee passport on hand upon arrival at NAS Sigonella.

HSC assists with locating off-base housing in the local area, including:   

  • Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) and entitlements  

  • ​House hunting tours provide the opportunity to see available private rentals in the community. All listings of available rentals are pre-inspected for suitability and must meet minimum standards for safety and security before a contract may be negotiated through the Housing Department.

  • Lease Negotiation: When you obtain your lease through the Housing Department, trained staff will help you negotiate a fair rental price, verify the presence of the Military Clause, and ensure compliance with Italian law. Rents are paid in Euro and range between €500 and €1,500 per month. Because rents are established in Euro, the equivalency in U.S. currency will fluctuate with the exchange rate. 

  • Translation Services: Assistance throughout the duration of your tour with all aspects of the unit you occupy, including maintenance service scheduling, utility billing discrepancies, clerical assistance, lease amendments, legal advice referrals and termination services. 

  • Issue resolution: Mediation of landlord-tenant disputes.    

  • Assistance in arranging for utility contracts (including electricity and telephone) and ongoing liaison with utility companies throughout your tour. 

  • Short-term rental or lease information  

  • Temporary Loaner furnishings ​

  • Supplemental Full Tour Furnishings.

DOD Civilian Personnel (CIVPERS) 

Due to the reduced availability of government housing, DOD CIVPERS are not eligible to reside in military family housing.

Upon arrival, report to the Housing Department to apply for economy housing. Housing personnel will assist you with locating a home in the local community. CIVPERS are authorized up to 90 days of lodging with your Temporary Quarters Substance Allowance (TQSA). It is very important that you communicate with your sponsor as quickly as possible upon receipt of orders. Your sponsor must know if you will be accompanied or unaccompanied, the size of your family, if you are bringing pets, etc. Answers to these questions will help him/her make appropriate advance reservations for accommodation.

Following your two-week indoctrination class, you will begin an aggressive search for permanent housing. Generally, you should have a lease contract and a move in appointment set by Day 30-45. Then arrange utilities, loaner furniture and household goods deliveries and expect to move-in within 3 to 5 days of signing the lease.  Hotel accommodations can be made at either the Navy Lodge or a hotel on the economy.  While in a transient status, keep your receipts for hotel bills, meal receipts, dry cleaning, and other expenses.  These receipts will be required when you file your reimbursement documentation.  Taxi fares to and from the hotel and work and auto rentals are not reimbursable. Upon arrival, process in with the Human Resource Office (HRO), immediately to be briefed on living quarter's allowance (LQA) and TQSA entitlements.

Living in the Community

Locating a new home is the most important step towards enjoying your time in Sicily. Remember that the house you choose is where you will live for the next few years. Be judicious about your choice; if you are uncertain about anything, make it a point to ask questions until you are satisfied with the answers. Once you sign a lease for an Italian home, you will find it hard to break. Italian law requires you to notify your landlord 6 months in advance of breaking the lease. A notice of 15 days should be provided to the landlord only in case the military clause applies. The contract is a binding, legal agreement and is not easily revoked without serious justification. CIVPERS and single E5 and above MILPERS, will be provided with assistance locating a home in the local economy.

Homes in Sicily are different from those stateside. There are apartments, in-villas (generally one floor of a house) and villas (single homes within a fenced perimeter) and are smaller than homes/apartments in the United States. Therefore, you should carefully limit the total weight and items being shipped. You should not ship American appliances (stoves, dishwashers, refrigerators, washers or dryers).

It is helpful if your sponsor drives you around to see the different areas. Review maps, note distances from base, and ask about availability of school buses and condition of roads near each area in order to make an informed decision. Sicily has a relatively high unemployment rate. As a result, house and car break-ins and theft can be a problem. Consider, however, that many times the reported cases have involved the "victims" leaving some very expensive items on the front seat of their car in open view. The problem is real and you need to be aware of it and take it into account when looking for a home.

Word-of-mouth among co-workers is a good way to find a house or select an area. If you find a house on your own, provide housing personnel the landlord's name, phone number and address of the home. Housing personnel will contact the landlord and follow up with the required inspections. Then, an appointment will be made with the landlord, housing representative, and the member to negotiate and sign the lease contract. Rental contract negotiators at the Housing Department are bilingual and are familiar with Italian real estate customs and law.

Throughout the process if you are uncertain about anything, ask questions.  At the time of the contract signing, you must pay to the landlord the equivalent of two months rent in euro (first month’s rent and security deposit). The deposit will be returned to you less any amounts deducted for damages when the lease is terminated.

Additional Notes on Community housing
In order to provide customers with a higher quality of life during their stay in Sicily, the Housing Department conducts researches on the local real estate market, conducts inspections and places available houses on the adequate listings; only those units that meet specific safety and security requirements and standards such as: water reserve, independent heating system, light fixtures, at least one (1) A/C unit, alarm system or metal bars if ground floor, furnished kitchen and bathroom, gas detectors, etc.

In Italy, an unfurnished apartment means that the tenant provides almost everything including wardrobe closets, kitchen cabinets, light fixtures, medicine cabinets and other items. The Housing Department maintains an inventory of items to include all of the above items. Others are available on the local economy or from departing personnel. Most of the properties listed with the Housing Department have central heating; however, apartments and villas in Sicily are hard to heat due to poor insulation. Some people use space heaters in addition to central heating.

Unaccompanied Housing

Unaccompanied housing (UH) options at NAS Sigonella include barracks or dorms and housing in the local community.  UH accommodations are for all E1 through E4 unaccompanied personnel. Unaccompanied and Geographical Bachelors E5 and above will be required to live in the economy.

Barracks and Dorms 

NAS Sigonella UH facilities are located on both bases (NAS I & NAS II); located seven miles apart. Assignment to UH is based on availability and there is no guarantee that residents will live on the same base where they work although the HSC will do their best to accommodate all requests.

Service Members may be assigned to a permanent party room immediately upon their arrival. Due to the standard size of the rooms, Service Members should not ship any Household Goods to Sigonella.

Incoming Service Members or their sponsor are encouraged to contact the Housing Service Center (HSC) in advance to arrange for a "door-to-door" move.  If space is not immediately available, the Service Member may be required to stay at the Navy Gateway Inns & Suites (NGIS).  If this temporary lodging is necessary, the Service Member will be entitled to a temporary lodging allowance (TLA) to cover these costs.

Upon UH check-in, the Service Member will receive a short briefing on "Life in Sigonella" in order to make the arrival process as smooth as possible and help orient our residents to UH program. A complete “Welcome Aboard” package with pertinent information is also provided at check-in and a “Resident Handbook” is provided in our rooms.

Accommodations are 1+1 layout, with private bedroom and shared kitchen and bathroom.  The HSC, Bldg. 319 serves as the check-in point.  Linens are provided at check-in.  UH facilities include lounges equipped with televisions, washers and dryers, and vending machines in all buildings.  All UH shared kitchens are equipped with microwaves, refrigerators and two-burner stovetops. Each sleeping space has a bed, drawers, desk, closet and TV stand. There are also recreational, fitness, dining, religious, educational and other amenities, most located within walking distance of UH.  Additional information on base amenities is available in the Welcome Aboard package.  

Community Housing 

Unaccompanied and Geographical Bachelors E5 and above will be required to live in the economy.

The HSC maintains a current database of available off-base community rental properties for homes, apartments and townhomes.  Housing referral professionals inspect these rental properties for suitability.  The HSC assists with locating off-base housing in the local area, including:   

  • Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) and entitlements  

  • ​House hunting tours provide the opportunity to see available private rentals in the community. All listings of available rentals are pre-inspected for suitability and must meet minimum standards for safety and security before a contract may be negotiated through the Housing Department.

  • Lease Negotiation: When you obtain your lease through the Housing Department, trained staff will help you negotiate a fair rental price, verify the presence of the Military Clause, and ensure compliance with Italian law. Rents are paid in Euro and range between €500 and €1,500 per month. Because rents are established in Euro, the equivalency in U.S. currency will fluctuate with the exchange rate. 

  • Translation Services: Assistance throughout the duration of your tour with all aspects of the unit you occupy, including maintenance service scheduling, utility billing discrepancies, clerical assistance, lease amendments, legal advice referrals and termination services. 

  • Issue resolution: Mediation of landlord-tenant disputes.    

  • Assistance in arranging for utility contracts (including electricity and telephone) and ongoing liaison with utility companies throughout your tour. 

  • Short-term rental or lease information  

  • Temporary Loaner furnishings ​

  • Supplemental Full Tour Furnishings.

Click the Family Housing tab above for more information on Community housing. 


Navy Housing Services

The Navy Housing Service Center (HSC) mission is to provide housing support for all families and unaccompanied personnel moving to or departing from the local area.  

Arrival Services:

  • Housing needs assessment

  • Temporary housing information

  • Personalized single-family home, condo and apartment finding assistance

  • Provide rental listings 

  • Maps and directions of local area

  • ​Detailed market information on local areas

  • Contract administration services

  • Lease review/interpretation

  • List of approved housing facilities and real estate agencies

  • Landlord information and mediation

Departure Services:

  • Provide information on housing at your new duty station

  • Process and fax or email housing application packages to your new duty station

Additional Services:

  • Telephones, photocopy and fax machines are available without charge


The HSC's trained professionals can help you choose the right housing to meet your needs, whether in government housing, community housing or unaccompanied housing. is an official Department of Defense (DoD) website dedicated to helping Service Members, families and DoD civilians find housing. 


Service Members must check-in with the HSC upon arrival at the installation.  The HSC maintains a current database, that is accessible 24 hours a day, of available off-base community rental properties for homes, apartments and townhomes.  Housing referral professionals inspect these rental properties for suitability.  Additionally, the HSC provides lease review services and is your Navy advocate for you and your family when housing maintenance, health or safety issues arise.  For additional information on local community housing, please contact the HSC. Click the family housing tab for more information about community housing. 
To list your rental property or update your current listing with the Navy Housing Referral program, visit the CNIC HQ page for  Additionally, the Navy Housing YouTube page has instructional videos on using to create a property manager account and add or edit a property.

Issue Resolution 

Navy HSCs provide support with issue resolution for customers wherever they choose to live, whether military, privatized, or community housing. Our issue resolution services are provided to both the tenant and landlord free of charge.

Shipping, Weight Limits and POV  

Naval Supply Systems Command (NAVSUP) is responsible for Navy household goods (HHG) and personal property.  NAVSUP provides information and guidance to assist with permanent change of station (PCS) moves and the HHG claims process.  
Additionally, there are several other resources available for Service Members that are looking for information on shipping HHG and privately owned vehicles

Visit the CNIC headquarters Web site to access additional resources for PCS moves


At this time, TELECOM ITALIA is the only reliable company that offers landline services throughout the Italian territory.  A contract is initiated with the assistance of the Housing Service Center.

Telephone bill

  •    Bills are issued every two months.  All bills include a flat fee plus taxes.

  •    Telephone calls are calculated on the following factors: length of call, distance, and the time and day that the calls are placed.

  •    Telephone calls from your home phone to cell phones can be expensive.

Note: In addition to phone service fees and equipment rental fees, your bill will include a charge for the "scatti" (units) you have used over the billing period. Phone calls are billed according to how many units you use. A unit does not represent a single phone call but rather it is a mix of distance called and time called. Calls to cellular phones may cost more than making international calls, depending on the time of day they are made. Special rates are available and will be explained in detail by the Housing Department.


Utilities are rarely included in the rent. A "condominium fee" may be charged, in addition to the monthly rent.

Your ENEL (electricity) bill
ENEL (the main Italian Electric company) sends bills every two months, but reads your meter only about twice a year. In between readings, ENEL will send you estimated bills, based on historical patterns of usage. This practice shall result in a high bill when the actual reading is taken by ENEL. The Housing Department recommends you take the initial ENEL meter reading and forward it to the Utilities Branch upon receipt of your first electric bill. At this time, we will ensure that your contract was initiated with the correct reading and explain when to submit your readings to us. This practice shall prevent you from receiving bills that you may have difficulty paying. You should learn to estimate your own usage and set aside sufficient funds; a safe estimate is 28-euro cents per KW used.

Central Heating/City Gas
Should you select a house/apartment with piped gas for independent heating you shall be required to take over the gas contract and stipulate it under your name. This is done with the assistance of the landlord, directly at the gas company. It is recommended to take the initial reading and keep track of your usage because some small gas companies issue bills based on estimates instead of actual consumptions. It is also recommended to set the timer of the furnace to shut off the heat when the sun is out and when you are not home and to keep the thermostat at a reasonable temperature, not at the max. Gas is expensive and the price per cubic meter goes up the more you use, so please keep that in mind.

GPL Tanks
Should you select a house/apartment with a GPL tank, you are required to schedule the appointments to have it supplied. Fuel oil is more expensive than city gas. However, if the tank is AGIP you shall be authorized to receive tax-free coupons from MVRO and schedule fuel delivery at the NEX. This is a key point when house hunting!

The water contract remains under the name of the landlord at all times. In most cases, the landlord pays only the water flat-fee and the resident is responsible for any over-usage. The cost of water is subject to variation on the basis of housing areas, cubic meter consumption and price of water established by the supply company. When you are asked to pay a water bill, we recommend that you ask for a copy of the bill and forward it to the Utilities Branch to ensure you reimburse the landlord the correct amount.

Appliances and Electrical Requirements 

At NAS Sigonella, all government-owned family housing units are furnished with major household appliances (i.e. refrigerator, electric range or stove, clothes washer and dryer, and dishwasher).  
The Housing Service Center (HSC) will provide loaner appliances for off-base housing (refrigerator, four-burner gas stove, washer or dryer, conventional or microwave oven, and transformer) as needed.  Additional utility fees may apply for gas stove connections. Contact the HSC for more information. 

All Italian electricity is 220 volts, 50HZ. Therefore, you will need a transformer to convert electricity for stateside appliances and adapters for Italian outlets, which are round-pronged. An important point to remember is that heat generated by a 60 Hz motor operating on 50 Hz can be a safety hazard. This problem is most critical with refrigerators. While most other motors are only used periodically or, by design, can get rid of heat, most refrigerators tend to build up heat. Electric supply is measured in kilowatts. Depending on the size of your dwelling, the number of water heaters, your family's size, your usage patterns and the number of electric appliances you operate, the number of available kilowatts you need will vary. Electric contracts can be written for a three, four and a half or six kW supply to accommodate your individual needs. Standard homes in Italy require a three KW supply. This supply is also the most economical. The HSC will assist you in determining your needs. But be aware: electricity in Italy is expensive!


Temporary Loaner Furniture is available and may be kept for up to 90 days while awaiting your personal household goods shipment. Temporary Loaner Furniture consists of beds, nightstands, dressers, sofa, armchairs, end tables, lamps, coffee table, dining table and dining chairs. It is important that you utilize your unaccompanied baggage shipment to ensure timely arrival of items such as cooking and eating utensils, sheets, blankets, etc. Please note: Italian beds are sized differently than U.S. beds, therefore, flat are preferable to fitted sheets for use on your temporary bed until your own bed arrives.

Full Tour Supplemental Furnishing is available for the duration of your tour. In order to be eligible you must have a signed lease contract negotiated through the Housing Department.

Although stock levels are sufficient to meet the demand, members are urged to request only items needed to complete the household. Members will be placed on a waiting list for items not available at the time of their request. The list will be prioritized by the date the lease was signed, but follow-up is the member's responsibility.

When those items become available, Housing personnel will contact the member to schedule a delivery appointment. Members requesting additional out-of-stock items after initial delivery will be placed on the bottom of the waiting list. The furniture section needs five working days notice to schedule furniture delivery or pick up. Any cancellation of a scheduled delivery, service call, or pick up requires at least one working day notice, or you may be charged for the service. There will be charges for missed or canceled appointments. The variations in the charges are related to the various types of moves (Light or normal/weight, routine or urgent).

Make sure your electricity and gas are activated during the delivery so that the delivery personnel can complete the required work (i.e., testing appliances). The contractors will not make additional trips to complete the work.

Furniture and equipment will be clean and in working condition. Many of the items that will be delivered are not new, and scratches or dents are not grounds for refusal of the item. Damages to the items should be noted on the delivery receipt to avoid being charged for prior damage on pick up later.

To schedule delivery and pick up contact the Housing Welcome Center at DSN 624-4311 ext 105. For appliances’ service calls, contact the Furnishings warehouse at 624-2338.

Furnishing Items Available
In addition to the 90-day temporary loan program, there is also a Full Tour Appliances/Furniture Program designed to get you started in your new house or apartment. Some items, sizes, and quantities vary between the family and bachelor programs. Check with the Furnishings Branch at the Housing Department for more details:

  • Stove: one per household, white, American brand 21" or 30" (note: not all apartments have room for the 30" stove) size gas oven.

  • Refrigerator: one per household.

  • Washing Machine: one per household. Top loading American washer max 28" wide or a smaller Italian model, which is 21" wide.

  • Dryer: one per household. You will be required to provide your own hose, which is an inexpensive item and covered with your MIHA.

  • Wardrobes: two doors, one shelf, one clothing rod.

  • Transformers: A full set comprised of three units for accompanied (1,500W, 1,000W, 750W) and two units for unaccompanied (750W). All transformers have one 220V male plug and one 110V female plug. Additional transformers may be authorized upon request when inventory is available.

  • Carbon monoxide detector: One per household.

  • 220V Microwave.

  • Satellite Dish and AFN Decoder. Installation cost is the member’s responsibility. (Note: satellites will only work with a multi-system television).


Two pets are allowed in housing (either one cat and one dog or two cats or two dogs).


Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)

TLA is paid in 10-day increments while awaiting the assignment to permanent housing. It generally covers the cost of lodging plus meals and incidental expenses. The maximum number of days is 60, starting on the day the sponsor reports for duty or date first family member arrives (if approved by BUPERS to travel prior to the sponsor). All members on accompanied and unaccompanied tours are eligible until permanent housing (family, bachelor or barracks) is secured. TLA can be terminated if adequate permanent housing is declined. Normally E4 and below are directly assigned to barracks and would only receive TLA if barrack space was not available. TLA is completed at the Housing Offices (BH or FH) then processed by PSD for payment. See the NASSIGINST 7220.4J for details.

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA)

OHA is authorized to assist a member in defraying the excess housing costs incurred when assigned to an overseas duty station. All members authorized to live in private rental housing are entitled to OHA. Residents of military family housing do not draw housing allowances. OHA, helps you pay for your housing costs, including rent, utilities, and recurring maintenance expenses. OHA consists of two parts, the rent portion and the utility and recurring maintenance portion. The rent portion of OHA is computed on your actual rent up to a maximum based on your rank and whether you are accompanied or unaccompanied. You are not limited by the rental ceilings: if your rent is above the ceiling, you pay the difference out of your base pay; if your rent is less than the ceiling, your allowance will only include the amount you actually pay. The utility portion of OHA is added to the rent portion to help pay for utilities and recurring maintenance costs. The amount of OHA you receive fluctuates with the dollar/euro exchange rate. The utility and recurring maintenance portion of your OHA is also adjusted as a result of the annual OHA Utility Survey. It is important to maintain complete records of your rent and utility payments. Keep a file with all of your receipts and a notebook to record all your expenses for repairing and maintaining your house or apartment. If you do, you will have accurate figures to report when it is time for the annual OHA Survey. To obtain up-to-date information on your rental ceiling and OHA entitlement Click Here, he Sigonella code is IT067. OHA documentation (DD Form 2367) is completed at the Housing Office, once a lease has been signed, then processed at PSD for payment.

Important Note

Because many of these allowances fluctuate as the dollar/euro exchange rate fluctuates, your paychecks will vary quite often. You should keep track of all these things and watch your leave and earnings statements carefully for errors. Also, when planning your budget, do not count on a particular dollar figure each paycheck. It is more prudent to plan on needing a certain amount of euro each month and buying that amount; that way, the number of dollars left over after buying the euro should be roughly the same. Also, keep a notebook and enter every purchase you make for your home and all purchases you make on the economy. That way, when it is time for the annual allowance surveys, you have accurate figures.

Moving In Housing Allowance (MIHA)

MIHA is a one-time payment to defray the costs as such items as sinks, kitchen cabinets, light fixtures, adapters, transformers, door/window locks that are sometimes not provided in economy housing. . It is not paid to those who occupy government-leased quarters. Because of many additions to permanent loaner furniture (i.e., washers, dryers, stoves, power transformers), Please double-check the amount that you are authorized so you do not depend on money that you will not be receiving.

What about allowances for civilians?

U.S. Civil Service employees recruited in the United States to work abroad for the U.S. Government are generally eligible to receive several overseas allowances. Temporary Quarters Subsistence Allowance (TQSA) is authorized for the reasonable cost of temporary quarters incurred by the employee and his or her family for a period up to three months after first arriving at your new post of assignment in a foreign area, or a period ending with the occupation of residence quarters, whichever is shorter. A Living Quarters Allowance (LQA) is authorized to substantially cover the cost of privately rented housing. LQA payment is intended to cover the average cost of rent, electricity, gas, fuel, and water up to the applicable maximum rate. Maximum rates vary by costs, by employee grade level, and by family size. A Post Allowance is authorized when the cost of living in the foreign area is significantly higher than in Washington, D.C. Contact your Human Resources Office or personnel office for further information. If you are a civilian contractor on assignment to NAS Sigonella, without government orders (DD1614), you will receive courtesy housing referral assistance and utility counseling only. You are not entitled to government purchased furnishings or appliances.


Sigonella Housing FAQs

TextDescription automatically generated with medium confidenceHousing Early Assistance Tool

The Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) assists Service Members and their families in applying for housing Navy wide.  HEAT allows Service Members and their families to get the housing application process started at one or more Navy installations online before or after they receive their permanent change of station orders.  HEAT is available to any Service Member at all Navy installations.  HEAT creates an easy user experience to connect with your destination.  Spouses can use the application as well, needing only minimal information about their Service Member.  A housing referral professional will be in touch within 2 business days.

Policy, Forms and Resources
Other Information and Links

Moving Resources: 

Housing Allowance: 

Servicemember’s Civil Relief Act: 

School Information:

Additional Resources: 


Google Translation Disclaimer

  • Google Translate, a third party service provided by Google, performs all translations directly and dynamically.
  • CNIC Fleet and Family Readiness, has no control over the features, functions, or performance of the Google Translate service.
  • The automated translations should not be considered exact and should be used only as an approximation of the original English language content.
  • This service is meant solely for the assistance of limited English-speaking users of the website.
  • CNIC Fleet and Family Readiness, does not warrant the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of any information translated.
  • Some items cannot be translated, including but not limited to image buttons, drop down menus, graphics, photos, or portable document formats (pdfs).
  • CNIC Fleet and Family Readiness, does not directly endorse Google Translate or imply that it is the only language translation solution available to users.
  • All site visitors may choose to use similar tools for their translation needs. Any individuals or parties that use CNIC Fleet and Family Readiness, content in translated form, whether by Google Translate or by any other translation services, do so at their own risk.
  • IE users: Please note that Google Translate may not render correctly when using Internet Explorer. Users are advised to use MS Edge, Safari, Chrome, or Firefox browser to take full advantage of the Google Translate feature.
  • The official text of content on this site is the English version found on this website. If any questions arise related to the accuracy of the information contained in translated text, refer to the English version on this website, it is the official version.

Commander, Navy Installations Command   |   716 Sicard Street SE Suite 1000   |   Washington DC, 20374-5140
Official U.S. Navy Website